In our house, summer is all about fresh fruits and veggies and finding new ways to enjoy them. I love fresh berries during the summer and this Gail Simmons inspired recipe totally hit the spot!
- 3 cups plus 3/4 cup mixed berries well washed and divided (any combination of strawberries hulled and
- quartered blueberries, raspberries, blackberries halved)
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar divided
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 pinch coarse salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
- 1 pint raspberry sorbet
- 6 graham crackers crushed
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon zest
- In a medium saucepan heat one cup of mixed berries, 2 tablespoons sugar and lemon juice over medium heat, until the blueberries begin to burst and the other berries break down, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from off heat and stir in the pinch of salt.
- Place half the berry mixture in a blender and puree until smooth. Return the sauce to the saucepan and stir well to combine with remaining fruit. Allow to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl crush 3/4 cup of mixed berries with remaining 2 tablespoons sugar using a fork, until slightly chunky and loose.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, using a balloon whisk or hand-held mixer, beat the cream at medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Gently fold the crushed berries into the whipped cream. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To serve: spoon 2 tablespoons of the sauce into each of 6 parfait or rocks glasses.
- Top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, a sprinkling of crushed graham crackers, and a pinch of lemon zest.
- Then add a scoop of the raspberry sorbet and another 2 tablespoons of the sauce.
- Top with a dollop of whipped cream and finish with a sprinkling of the graham crackers and another pinch of zest. Serve immediately.