I absolutely love onion soup – it is probably my favorite soup to eat when it is made right. I’m super picky and can’t stand when onion soup is overpowered by salt and therefore rarely order it out. I love making onion soup at home for lunch or dinner but always feel like I need a little something to snack on with it and I think I may have found the perfect accompaniment, especially if you eat gluten free!
While I love having soup as a meal, my family tends to feel that it usually isn’t filling enough on its own and like when I make a few sides to go with it. When I was in San Francisco at the Fancy Foods Show, I was introduced to a a new brand called Brazi Bites. (If they sound familiar to you, you might have seen them featured on Shark Tank!) Brazi Bites are a bite sized Brazilian cheese bread and they come in a variety of delicious flavors. Since they are made with tapioca flour, they are naturally gluten-free.
And now for the easy onion soup recipe…
Homemade Onion Soup Recipe
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium/large onions thinly sliced
- 28 oz of chicken broth I love chicken bone broth for this recipe!
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cube of beef bouillon
- 4 tbsp dry sherry
- 1/2 C grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 oz shredded Swiss cheese
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat your broiler.
- Heat the oil in a large pot.
- Add onions and cook while stirring until golden (about 10-15 minutes).
- Increase heat and add chicken broth, Worcestershire sauce, bouillon, and sherry.
- Bring to a boil then simmer over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper and simmer for another 3 minutes.
- Pour soup into 4 heat proof bowls, top each with Swiss cheese and put under the broiler until hot and bubbly
- Sprinkle shredded Swiss on top of soup and serve.
- Pro tip - if I'm serving this to any kids, I use the second option as the crocks get quite hot under the broiler.