I love soup, especially when the temperature drops and there is a constant chill in the air. There is something about a hot bowl of soup that just warms me up from the inside out. Considering I love Tex-Mex food too, I immediately wanted to create a Mexican-inspired soup when I partnered with our sponsors Conagra, for a quick and easy recipe post featuring Rotel and Rosarita for game days.
This Refried Bean Soup recipe will win over even those who don’t normally care for refried beans. The refried beans are incorporated into the broth base of the soup so those who don’t care for the texture of refried beans (like my son) will enjoy the amazing flavor of the beans without the texture.
This soup is also very versatile and can be modified to meet the tastes of each cook and/or their family. Like more heat? Add an extra can of green chilis or substitute hot salsa. Prefer a creamier soup? Plop a dollop of sour cream on top of your bowl. Don’t care for cilantro? Leave it out. We tried it a variety of different ways and loved it each time! My family likes just a hint of heat, so we used the recipe I am sharing.
My very favorite thing about this Refried Bean Soup is how simple and easy it is to make! You literally dump all of the ingredients into the pot and heat it up. When I’m hosting friends to watch a game at my house, I make it ahead and put it in the slow cooker for a few hours to heat up so I can spend time with my company. Plus, it makes for super easy cleanup!!
To make the Refried Bean Soup you will need:
- 12 oz of chicken broth
- 1/4 C mild salsa
- one 10oz can of Rotel Original Diced Tomatoes & Green Chiles
- one 16oz can of Rosarita Traditional Refried Beans
- one can of whole kernel corn (I used fire-roasted for extra flavor)
- one can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- cilantro, shredded cheese, green onions and/or sour cream for garnish (I used cilantro, green onions and a Mexican blend of shredded cheese in this batch)
The directions could not be easier. Literally dump all of the ingredients into a crockpot and heat for about three hours or until hot. Serve with a side of tortilla chips and sit back and rake in the praise. Seriously, my teen is extremely picky, and he loved this soup.
This recipe is being featured on this gameday recipe microsite and I’d LOVE if you headed over there and voted for it. You can also enter to win a prize pack, so it’s really a win-win for both of us!
Refried Bean Soup
- slow cooker
- 12 oz chicken broth
- 16 oz Rosarita Traditional Refried Beans
- 10 oz Ro*tel Original Diced Tomatoes & Green Chiles
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1 can whole kernel corn
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- cilantro, shredded cheese, green onions, sour cream for garnish if desired
- Add all ingredients to the slow cooker.
- Stir until combined.
- Heat for 2-3 hours or until hot.
- Garnish with cilantro, green onions, shredded cheese or sour cream.
- Serve with a side of tortilla chips.