I participated in an Ambassador Program on behalf of Influence Central for Virgin Mobile USA which is one of Sprint’s prepaid brands. I received two Virgin Mobile smartphones to facilitate my review as well as a promotional item to thank me for my participation.
With a tween in the house, the “I want a phone” cry has begun to ring through the hallways. At first I was completely against the idea. I mean, I didn’t get my first cell phone until I was in my twenties. I course, when I was Josh’s age, my rotary dial phone was stuck to the kitchen wall so maybe that’s not the best rationale for deciding if he can have a phone or not…
I had a few concerns about Josh having a phone. The first was that he would burn through the entire family’s data on his own. I’m not calling him a data hog BUT he sure does love to watch videos. Another concern was that he would be on the phone 24/7. I had visions of him surfing and texting into the wee hours of the night. Yes, I could confiscate the phone each night before bed but, let’s be honest, I’d probably forget more than I’d remember. My last concern was pretty basic – cost. I was a bit concerned about what adding another line would mean to the overall budget.
Luckily, Walmart offers the Virgin Mobile Data Done Right Multi-line Data Sharing plan.
Honestly, it’s been a while since we looked at anything having to do with mobile phones and the plans you can get so I was pleasantly surprised at how many options are available now. The Virgin Mobile Data Done Right Multi-line Data Sharing plan (available only at Walmart) has features that really appealed to our family:
- An already loaded app allows us to control how mach data is allocated to each of the phones on the plan. There’s no issues with one member of the family burning through the whole family’s data by watching Minecraft videos (hmm – I wonder who might do that??)
- The program has parental controls that allow parents to restrict app access and set usage curfews.
- The ability to access popular social media apps and streaming music without using up any allocated data for just $5 a month. (While Josh is too young to be on Facebook or most other social media networks, his parents both spend enough time on them that this would come in very handy!)
- A free mobile hot spot so we can use other wifi devices.
- Easy peasy one-touch data buy up option that will never leave you hanging.
- No contract plans. No additional monthly line fees. Let that sink in for a minute. Yep – you read that right. And it’s all on the Sprint® Nationwide Network, so you know you’re covered.
We’ve had a lot of fun with the whole data allocation feature and have set up a bit of a reward system for getting chores done.
Each family member has certain chores that need to be done in order to earn gigs of data. The more chores that are done. the more data they have to play with. This has actually gotten better results with the tween than money has! (I think we have found a “currency” that motivates him.)
Connect with Virgin Mobile:
- Virgin Mobile Facebook page:https://www.facebook.com/VirginMobileUSA
- Virgin Mobile Twitter Page:https://twitter.com/virginmobileusa
- Virgin Mobile Instagram Page:https://twitter.com/virginmobileusa
- Virgin Mobile Vine Page:https://vine.co/VirginMobileUS
- Virgin Mobile YouTube Page:https://www.youtube.com/virginmobileusa