This post was sponsored by Carbonite as part of an Influencer Activation for Influence Central.
Have you ever had one of those moments where your heart just about stops and full on panic takes over? I had one of those moments about two years ago when I turned on my desktop and got the dreaded “blue screen of death”. You have to understand something about me – while I love technology and all of my fun devices, I do most of my work on my trusty HP desktop (circa 2009 and still running Windows 7. thankyouverymuch). And at that point, I was just saving my work to the computer’s hard drive. No cloud. No external hard drive. No nothing.
Yeah, I know – stupid.
So you can imagine my panic when I turned on my computer and encountered that blue screen. I freaked. All I could think about was all the work I didn’t have anywhere else. But worst case, I could probably recreate most of it. It would take time, but could be done. Then I thought about all the pictures and videos that I had downloaded onto my computer and now were gone. Birthdays, family outings, everyday moments. Those could not be recreated. They were priceless memories and I felt really foolish for not having made sure that they were backed up somewhere else.
I wound up bringing my desktop to a local PC repair place where it promptly turned on and booted up with no problem. The nice guy there opened it up and cleaned out some dust and charged me a fraction of what he could have for wasting his time. I went home and decided then and there it was time to have a back up system in place. I didn’t ever want to be in that position again!
I looked at several options and decided I didn’t trust myself to do any kind of regular backup myself. I wanted something automatic where I could set it and forget it. I did a little research and decided on Carbonite. I loved that it was easy to install, affordable, and did the work for me once it was set up. They also provide a crackerjack support team if you ever run into any issues – which is key for a non-techy person like me! I could tell that Carbonite had been created by people who had experienced the loss of data themselves. (David Friend’s daughter called him frantic after her hard drive had crashed containing her term paper she had worked on for six weeks. His partner Jeff’s wife lost years of baby photos and financial records when her laptop was stolen.)
October is Cyber Security Month, and the perfect time to reevaluate how secure your files are. What precautions do you have in place in case your computer is stolen or crashes?
Wondering what the process is? Like I mentioned, it’s super easy:
- INSTALL – Install Carbonite on your computer (it took less time than I had imagined).
- BACK UP – Your files will be backed up automatically to the cloud (how long this takes depends on how many files you have on your computer).
- RESTORE – With your files safely stored in the cloud, you can get them back anytime, whether you accidentally delete a single file or have a complete hard drive failure – how is THAT for peace of mind???)
- ACCESS – You can access files from any Internet-connected computer or mobile device – can we say convenient?
There are three Carbonite plans to choose from so you can find one that meets your exact needs:
- Basic – $59.99/year per computer. All the essentials – Automatic online backup for your photos, music, documents and more.
- Plus – $99.99/year per computer. A complete backup solution – Automatic online backup of your computer and external hard drive – plus a local backup of your operating system and software programs.
- Prime – $149.99/year per computer. The top of the line – With automatic video backup and the option to have a copy of your backup shipped to you anywhere in the United States, this is our most comprehensive solution for protecting home office and family computers.
No matter which plan you choose, you will receive the following: unlimited cloud backup space, automatic and continuous backup, free premium support, easy restore capabilities, mobile app access to sync and share files between devices and file safety and security.
Just in case I haven’t already convinced you to take the leap and begin using Carbonite to back up your files, Carbonite has a special deal to help sweeten the deal. From now through December 31st, 2015, use promo code INFLUENCECENTRAL to receive an extra two months of coverage when you sign up for a year.