When I was a kid growing up, I always thought that I didn’t like tuna fish. In fact, it was the one thing I absolutely refused to eat. My mom once made tuna casserole and told me it was “chicken of the sea” but I still didn’t like it. Well, it turns out that it wasn’t tuna fish I didn’t like – it was tuna casserole!
At some point in college, I had my first grilled tuna steak and could not believe what I had been missing. I began to try different dishes that had tuna in them and found quite a few that I liked and several that I really love. My absolute favorite tuna salad not only tastes great, but it looks pretty cool too. I first had it served to me at a friend’s house. She loved everything having to do with sunflowers and this salad fit right into her” theme”. I’ve made it more times than I can count and it’s always a huge hit.
- 1 ripe mango (or 1 can of prepared mango)
- 24 oz of canned white tuna
- fresh cilantro (to taste)
- 16 oz black beans
- a medium red onion
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- olive oil
- tortilla chips
- Chop the red onion into small pieces.
- Rinse and drain the black beans.
- Mix the black beans, chopped onion, and lime juice together with some chopped cilantro add salt and pepper to taste and set aside. Allow to set for at least an hour so the flavors can develop.
- Slice the mango into bite-sized pieces.
- Mix the mango and tuna together.
- Spread a layer of tortilla chips on the plates.
- Spread the mango and tuna mixture in a circle over the chips.
- Place a smaller circle of the bean and onion mixture inside the previous circle.
- Place extra chips around the outside to simulate petals.
- Note – This recipe should be adjusted to suit your personal taste. Don’t like cilantro? Leave it out! Like a little kick? Add in some jalapeno pepper. Make it your own and enjoy!!
For this recipe. I used a new (to me at least) kind of canned tuna from Ocean Naturals. I gravitated toward this brand as it is good, good for you, and good for the planet. Why do I say this? Well, you’ll have to taste it for yourself to understand how good it tastes! And you can do that for free if you score some during one of their Ocean Naturals Tuna Tuesdays Facebook Giveaways.
Everyone knows that fish is considered a “good for you” food. It’s a great source of protein and Ocean Naturals tuna is wild caught and each can lists the simple ingredients – fish, a dash of salt, and olive oil or water. You can learn more about where your specific tuna came from by visiting the Ocean Naturals site and entering the code from your can.
If you are like me and always looking for yummy, fresh ideas of how to incorporate tuna into new recipes, this Pinterest board is for you!