I remember when I was growing up we had one TV in our house. Yep – one. And it was the kind where you had to adjust the antenna AND get up to change the channel. (Yes, I really am that old!) These days, the average American home has more TV sets than people. I know in our house, we have 3. Parents are constantly reminded of the effects of letting their kids watch too much TV, but that isn’t the only danger TVs can pose in the home.
With many homes having at least one flat screen TV (and many having more than one), today’s ultra thin tvs can easily topple over when pulled causing injury or even death. Check out these statistics from a 2011 US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) report on flat panel TV safety:
· A child is killed every three weeks from an unsecured TV
· Every 45 minutes a child visits an emergency room due to a TV tip-over related injury
· Between 2000 and 2011, 215 fatalities have resulted from TV tip-over
· An estimated 17,000 people each year, the majority of which are children, are treated for injuries from TV tip-overs
· Reported cases have increased almost 25% from 2006 to 2010, and over the last 10 years, injuries have increased by 31%
You can easily protect your family by securely mounting your flat panel TV to the wall. SANUS manufactures sturdy, easy to install wall mounts that can keep you and your family safe from a falling TV injury. In an effort to bring awareness to this issue - and how easy it is to prevent – SANUS is giving one lucky Wisconsin Mommy reader their own flat panel SANUS TV Vuepoint Mount F180.